Saturday 24 April 2010

Viola adunca in watercolour

This week's Illustration Friday prompt is ahead.  Around here, Early Blue Violet (and yes, I know that it's purple.  Botany-types are weird about calling purples blues) blooms weeks ahead of most of our other native plants.  If you don't count the trees, that is.  Believe me, my sinuses can inform you that the poplar trees have been in bloom for a while now.

Anyway.  My father has these growing wild all over the yard, and it's always great to see a bit of colour when most other things are still struggling to get past their winter browns.

This was a quick watecolour sketch (ok, Derwent Aquatone, to be honest.  But I was using a brush...) in my moleskine.

Just for the heck of it, here's a very wonky picture of a really quick sketch from a couple of weeks ago showing the non-native species in my father's yard that was ahead of... well, pretty much everything, as crocuses usually are.  And in case anyone wonders, they managed to finish blooming without being eaten by deer.  Now let's all knock wood for the tulips, ok?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails