Friday 4 June 2010

Are you art?

Insofar as the... thing you see to the left has a title, Are You Art would be that title.  If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you might even be able to see those exact words in there somewhere.  I promise that they're there.

Yes, folks, this is how I've been spending a bit of my time lately.  Doing my best to destroy a perfectly innocent sketchbook.  It's just an ordinary recycled paper sketchbook, but for some reason I've decided to punish it via mixed media.  The pages are wavy, the cover is already warped... and why?

To be honest, I don't know.  I guess maybe I wanted to shake things up a bit.  Try some different techniques without the outcome having to matter.  Ok -- make a mess, no strings attached.

And am I getting anything out of it?

Oh, I don't know.  I'll admit that it's kind of relaxing to come home and gesso the hell out of a page after a busy day's work.  And I'm probably learning things about the various media that I might not have otherwise.

But...

I can't help feeling like a five-year-old wrecking a book for no apparent reason.

Hey, wait.  Is that really such a bad thing?  Maybe we all need to feel like five-year-olds every once in a while...

Anyway, I took a few scans of the thing this morning, so maybe I'll post one now and then if I haven't been doing any doodling (and so far as the doodling goes, I've just been a little busy lately.  That's all).  After all, I hesitated to post this one, but now that I've done it you may as well see just how big a mess I can actually make.

Oh, and don't forget tomorrow:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails