Sunday 19 September 2010

Red-breasted Nuthatch in pen and ink

This week's Illustration Friday prompt is acrobat, and this was a pretty quick doodle mostly just to get me sketching. I've not exactly been in the mood lately, for various reasons.

I always get a kick out of the way that nuthatches work the trees upside-down. It's like gravity doesn't work the same way for them as it does for the rest of us. There's a good reason for the strategy, though -- it lets the birds find insects that the birds who only work up might miss.

Since I didn't have a photo of a nuthatch on hand, I borrowed this one as my source.

2 comments:

Linda Hensley said...

Nice sketch! I like these birds too. So friendly :)

studio lolo said...

I love it when they come to my feeders!
Wonderful drawing.

And I'm glad you're particularly fond of the laurels ;)

~Laurel~

Related Posts with Thumbnails