Saturday 25 September 2010

Stereoscope in pen and ink

This week's Illustration Friday prompt is old-fashioned. And this? is old-fashioned television. For anyone unfamiliar with stereoscopes, what you do is put a card with a double photo on the rack, slide it to focus, and then look through the lenses to see a 3D image. Here's a bit more info.

This particular stereoscope lives in my apartment and has been in the family for well over a hundred years. It's a little beat up, but that's only because it was well used. Back in the day, I'm told, they were commonly used by courting couples as a way to sit close together without alarming the chaperones.

Um, anyway. I originally meant the doodle to be a lot more detailed, but once I'd done the initial line drawing (slightly skewed perspective and all) I decided to keep it simple.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what it says about me that the scan to the left is what I initially thought of in regards to old-fashioned. If it helps, I did have to look up the recipe...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails