Sunday 5 December 2010

Hand Axe in pen and ink

This week's Illustration Friday prompt is prehistoric, and this is a palaeolithic stone hand axe. It's loosely (very loosely) cribbed from a picture, since I don't happen to have a palaeolithic stone hand axe just lying around. Funny how that works...

Anyway. Hand axes were considered to be fairly basic tools since they didn't need nearly the skill to make that, say, a spear point would need, but they were apparently pretty important multi-use tools. And even if they didn't need fine skills to create, when you consider that every facet is the result of hard, stone-on-stone bashing work, I still think that they're pretty remarkable. And, as I just found out, when you start drawing one the contours can become fairly fascinating. I think maybe I'm going to have to try my hand at an obsidian arrowhead next.

This was done in my moleskine with 01 and 05 sepia Microns.

2 comments:

gatheringwonder said...

well drawn

Debbie Clandening said...

The contours are interesting. Lovely illustration.
Deb

Related Posts with Thumbnails